Everything Is About to Change

Ugh Togoth

Ok, jeg kan dog stadig ikke se problematikken (som CW fremfører) i at hastigheden bliver lav såfremt intentionen er at accellerere vægten maksimalt. :smile:

jeg kan heller ikke se at det er så stort et problem at det retfærdiggør den dramatiske titel, men sådan er det jo ovre i guds eget land :tongue:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

phelan wrote:

If you're always employing a fast movement, then what room is there for "changing up" pace-wise in order to challenge/trick your muscles? Of course, you can still change the types of exercises you're doing and load and so on... but won't our muscles just get used to and adapt to a faster pace if used constantly?

Take three different loads, for example: a 5RM, a 12RM, and a 20RM. Now lift each one of those loads as fast as possible before the speed slows down. What do you get? You get three different tempos.

"As fast as possible" is a relative term - it will be different for every load.

Trust me, it'll all make sense once I outline the methods behind this philosophy.

Chad waterbury

Chad Waterbury:

The following post made my day so I'm putting it up on this thread.

Thank you Sentoguy!

"Sorry, Tim, but your understanding of the size principle is wrong. Go back and read CW's explanation again. Or as Prof X suggested, go get yourself a college level exercise physiology or biology text book.

The size principle is based on required amounts of force, not on number of repetitions in a set or fatigue. Basically the smallest motor units are recruited first. These motor units are the most fatigue resistant but also have the least force producing potential. Think in terms of just every day hand gestures or picking up a pencil.

As more force is required the body recruits motor units with higher and higher force producing potential, but which are much less resistant to fatigue.

For instance, if you try to pick up a weight that is nearing the amount of weight that you can only pick up once your body will first recruit the smallest motor units, however they won't be able to perform the task. So, it'll recruit bigger and bigger motor units until either you lift the weight or give up because you are incapable of lifting the weight.

This has nothing to do with reps in a set or fatigue. The same goes for speed. The greater the acceleration of the mass, the greater the force, thus the greater the motor unit recruitment.

CW's point in asking the question, "if the last few reps in a high intensity set really do recruit extra muscle fibers, then why aren't the last few reps the easiest?" is that he is trying to show that you DON'T recruit more muscle fibers during the last few reps of a high intensity set.

That's actually a question that I've posed before on this site in regards to ways to recruit all of your voluntary muscle fibers, I came to the same conclusion that CW seems to have.

What CW is saying is that if you are lifting a high enough percentage of 1RM (anything 85% or greater), or moving the weight with maximum speed, then due to the size principle you are already recruiting every possible motor unit/muscle fiber on the very first rep of the set.

The reason that the reps get more difficult as the set goes on is due to several factors.

1) Since the type 2b/FF muscle fibers/motor units are the quickest to fatigue, the smaller less powerful muscle fibers are now less easily able to move the weight (or move it as quickly). This is how/why drop sets work.

2) Hydrogen ion build up. After approximately 10 seconds your body switches from your ATP-CP system to Glycolysis which produces lactic acid as a by product. Now, some of this lactic acid is buffered thus producing lactate which can then be used as more fuel. However, there are also hydrogen atoms that build up in the muscle and cause interference between actin and myosin crossbridges, thus inhibiting contraction. This hydrogen ion build up is responsible for the "burn" that you feel during exercise.

The point is that if the last few reps really did recruit larger more powerful muscle fibers, then those reps would be easier. In fact, if your understanding of the size principle was correct, then you would never reach failure because the more reps/fatigue encountered in a set the stronger you would get. Therefore, he is suggesting that this line of thinking is incorrect.

Also, unfortunately your graph is also incorrect. The bars should be up near the "Theoretical Maximal Recruitment" line right from rep #1. And, the orange should start from the top down, not the bottom up. The smallest most fatigue resistant fibers/MU's that are always recruited during any physical movement are ridiculously fatigue resistant. They can literally go on for days. Just think, can you walk for longer, or run for longer. Why? After all you are using the same muscles?

Hope this helps to clear things up.

Good training,

Sentoguy"

Hvis CWs tese holder stik, og nedsættelse af løftehastigheden betyder, at de stærkeste og hurtigste motoriske enheder udmattes og sætter ud, så kan man forestille sig programmer, der går endnu længere, end de nuværende programmer, hvor der køres et stykke fra failure. Det kan som sagt betyde, at de "vigtigste" reps er dem, der udføres lige før og op til, at hastigheden sættes ned.

Eksempelvis kan man køre et bænkpres program, hvor der køres med en intensitet, der svarer til 10rm, men hvor der køres 20 sæt a 4 eksplosive reps med et halvt til et helt minuts pause, eksempelvis stigende pauser. Da det nok ikke vil være specielt systemisk udmattende, kan det nok udføres flere gange om ugen. På den måde kan opnå en rimelig intensitet og en monster volume på ugebasis, der måske specielt rekrutterer de motoriske enheder, som vi ønsker, og vi sparer på de kræfter, der ellers hovedsageligt ville rekruttere de små langsomme enheder.

Man kan selvfølgelig også køre med højere intensitet og færre gentagelser, eller løbende sænke intensiteten. Pointen er, som flere har foreslået i de ovenstående citater, at træningsindsatsen effektiviseres og energispild minimeres.

Når jeg går tråden her hurtigt igennem ser det for mig ud til at I mener at den "nye vej" egentlig bare er at FLÅ vægtene til sig og så være ligeglade med om det ser rigtigt og pænt ud ved udførelsen - egentlig som jeg træner nu...

Can it be ?? :wink:

Nej, teknikken skal som altid være i top.

Pointen er snarere at du i stedet for at lave 8-9 reps med din 10RM (i god stil selvfølelig), skal stoppe sættet, når farten i forhold til de første reps falder. Du vil så f.eks i stedet skulle lave 4-5 reps pr. sæt med max fart (og i god stil), og lave flere sæt end du ville have gjort tidligere.

Nej, teknikken skal som altid være i top.

Pointen er snarere at du i stedet for at lave 8-9 reps med din 10RM (i god stil selvfølelig), skal stoppe sættet, når farten i forhold til de første reps falder. Du vil så f.eks i stedet skulle lave 4-5 reps pr. sæt med max fart (og i god stil), og lave flere sæt end du ville have gjort tidligere.

Okay, lidt i stilen af som en styrkeløfter udfører træningen i deres konkurrence-løft så...

Edited by Gravanno

• 2 weeks later...

Chad Waterbury har nu udgivet en midlertidig version af sin nye artikel, som kan læses og kommenteres på, inden den langeres på T-nation.

Jeg vil sige, at det nok er den mest revolutionerende artikel, som jeg nogensinde har læst, også i og med at den er solidt videnskabeligt velunderbygget. Den vil med sikkerhed have stor indflydelse og ændre på ALLE træningsprogrammer fremover.

Artiklen kan læses på følgende link:

Chad Waterbury har nu udgivet en midlertidig version af sin nye artikel, som kan læses og kommenteres på, inden den langeres på T-nation.

Jeg vil sige, at det nok er den mest revolutionerende artikel, som jeg nogensinde har læst, også i og med at den er solidt videnskabeligt velunderbygget. Den vil med sikkerhed have stor indflydelse og ændre på ALLE træningsprogrammer fremover.

Artiklen kan læses på følgende link:

Du må linke artiklen så hurtigt som muligt. Nu har man bare mere lyst til at finde ud af hvad han vil frem til. Kan ikke finde artiklen!

MVH TripleT

Til dem der har sendt mig PMs, da de ikke kan se linket, så er det nok fordi, at de ikke har de nyeste opdateringer til Explorer. Jeg prøver dog igen og håber, at alle kan klikke og se følgende link til artiklen:

Arh crap :dry:

Kan ikke læse den. Står der noget om, hvornår artiklen vil blive frigivet?

PS: Mange tak for det ekstra forsøg :4thumbup:

MVH TripleT

Fremragende fortsættelse - og jo, det var sku da godt nok revolutionerende. Jeg skal sku lige tilbage i grotten og seriøst revurdere min træning! :wink:

Jeg kører også med den gamle 1.3 som Blackmoore - virker fremragende. Den kan downloades her: link